14 July, 2010

Popsicles

It's been so hot here lately, I decided to make some healthy popsicles with yogurt and fresh raspberries rather than eating the sugar-filled ones we buy at the depanneur.

I bought this popsicle mold a couple of years ago and can't believe that I haven't used it yet. But that's the way I am. It all gets used eventually.

I was reading Orangette and she made popsicles from David Lebovitz's book The Perfect Scoop. If you haven't discovered David Lebovitz yet you really must read his food blog.

So today I decided to get off my duff and make some popsicles for the wee man as a surprise when he gets home from day camp later on.

I know that he will be coming up with his own recipes once he realizes how incredibly easy they are to make.

Raspberry Yogurt Popsicles Adapted from The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz

Use whole-milk yogurt, not low-fat or nonfat. It tastes better, and it makes for a better tasting popsicle.

Recipe

  • 2 cups (480 grams) plain whole-milk yogurt
  • 2 cups (240 grams) fresh or frozen raspberries
  • ¾ cup (150 grams) sugar
  • 1 tsp. lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in the jar of a blender, and process until smooth. Set a strainer over a bowl (or other vessel) with a pour spout. Press the mixture through the strainer to remove seeds. Divide mixture among popsicle molds of your choosing and freeze for 4-5 hours. If using something other than real popsicle molds, freeze for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the mixture begins to set; then insert popsicle sticks. Freeze until very hard.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Yum - those look great. Can you make me some from Guinness?

Unknown said...

Interesting that you say that, Martin asked me the same thing.